Wednesday 7 September 2011

First Few Days

Hey Everyone! (if anyone is actually reading this hah)

Right now I am in the Tatamagouche Centre in Tatamagouche (said like ta-da-magouche) Nova Scotia. We are doing a volunteer orientation camp for the first 5 days. We are staying in cabins... my roomates are really great... One of the girls "Tayte" was coming in a bit late and honestly I have never EVER heard someone try to be so quiet.... it was hilarious

Two groups are together the Ghanian Womens Team (My team) and the Mixed group... both of which are going to Ghana. There are 18 of us per group.

For the passed few days we have been getting to know each other, playing a lot of games and doing policy information things. Of all the games we have played my favourite would have to be "Balance the Ball".. really hard to explain on a blog but super fun to play. All of the girls in my group are amazing people.. so friendly and very helpful. I have been trying to learn a bit of Twi (pronounced Chewi.. its extremely hard to say) I have been able to say basic phrases and I try and use them as often as I can. 

The girls in my group are, from Canada: Julie, Beth, Madison, Megan, Tayte, Hala, Justine and Gabrielle
Ghana: Helena, Ethel, Judith, Lucy, Rejoice, Elfreda, Nancy, Grace and Gloria

Tonight we just got matched with our counterparts for the next six months (the girl I will be living with). Last night the project supervisors pulled names from a hat to decide but they put together a great game for us to figure it out. The Canadians and Ghanians were separated into two different rooms and give a bag with a mask and 2 cards. In one card we had to write what we are going to do for our counterpart and the other we wrote what we wanted our counterpart to do for us. Then we all put on our masks and met and the two with the matching masks were paired. 

I got paired with Helena! I am sooooo excited about it! She is an amazing person and very loving. She has a mothering type personality but also a huge amount of fun so I think that we will work well together. She is an AMAZING dancer.... not just saying that because I think everyone is an amazing dancer... she is literally insane. She told me that she is going to teach me so we can go clubbing in Ghana and we are both not going to be embarrassed by my lack of skills. I know that I am going to have an amazing time with her and I hope she is going to feel that same way with me. When we met she started crying... I really didn't know if it was a good or a bad thing... but apparently she really wanted me :). Her biggest excitement is that she wants me to meet her family in the Greater Accra region (there are 9 other regions) so I hope when I am there... or sometime after we can make that happen. I was praying to be paired with a great person and I think God did better then that. 

Tomorrow we are going to get our host families.. so its going to be a really exciting day too 

I love you all and miss you... but I am having a blast and I know I am going to be so different when I get home. Skype me if you want.. there is a 4 hour difference so you have to go on early to get me. My Skype is Amanda.dyck19 




No comments:

Post a Comment